[clue-tech] Clueless, pun intended

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Aug 29 12:24:06 MDT 2010

Bill Smith wrote:

> Anybody have any idea why this  isn't working?
>
> root at localhost ~]# apt-get update Get:1 ftp://ftp.ch.debian.org pclinuxos/2007 release Ign
> ftp://ftp.ch.debian.org pclinuxos/2007 release Get:1 ftp://ftp.ch.debian.org pclinuxos/2007/main
> pkglist Err ftp://ftp.ch.debian.org pclinuxos/2007/main pkglist Unable to fetch file, server said
> 'Failed to open file.  '

Because the server doesn't have those directories.

> Some background, when I installed this  2009 CAELinux 32 bit distro, synaptic package manager was
> disabled by default and I can't get "aptitude" to run. The only thing I can see is the PClinuxOS
> 2007 is rpm based, I think, not debian. I also don't know how to check my sources list in the
> terminal. All I want to do is make sure the install is up to date as much as possible, while not
> causing any problems with broken dependencies.

We did an update at installfest, right?  Does the Update Manager still work?  If it does and all you
want is updates, use it.

There's also gnome-app-install (the add/remove software menu item, may not be available on Ubuntu
8).  I saw someone else use that.  It seems to be the dummies package manager.  I didn't like it
because it hides too much detail about the packages themselves.  (Or perhaps it only shows Gnome apps.)

And then Synaptic is the standard, GUI, way to manage packages.

All of these use /etc/apt/sources.list to know what repositories to use, and all the GUI tools seem
to have a dialog to change the contents of the file.

Any idea what you did to put the pclinuxos nonsense into your sources.list?