[clue-tech] Configuration management recommendations?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 30 19:41:07 MDT 2010

Ski Dawg wrote:
> After spending a little bit of time searching over the past couple of
> days, I have run across four that seem like good options, cfengine,
> puppet, chef and bcfg2.

I have read about all of these and if I had to try one I'd try puppet first.

I'm not sure bcfg2 has caught on all that well, even though it's been around a long time.

chef is new and there's a design debate between them and puppet.

Luke Kaines is a smart guy and was involved with infrastructures.org back when.  They know a lot
about configuration control, though their opinion about strict ordering seems not to have made it
into current code.  But I respect their experience.

Not exactly a scientific survey, but that's where I'd start.