[clue-tech] Any experience w/HP Pavilion good or bad?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 23 15:59:39 MST 2010

David Williams wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Was thinking about getting a small laptop and loading some variant of Linux on it for a dual boot.

You may be happier with virtualization rather than dual boot.

> Generally I have found that newer hardware seems to require some work on the installers part
> since driver support on Linux seems to lag a bit.

You can check the hardware and see what support is offered before you buy it.

Or you can buy it and wait for the drivers to catch up.

At installfest when using new hardware I find about 3:1 that drivers are available vs. needing
ndiswrapper or whatever.  When drivers are available the wisdom on Google is ndiswrapper, so
obviously the drivers are new enough that there isn't a new consensus yet.  You won't have to wait
that long to get native drivers, I think.