[clue-tech] Debian squeeze

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 06:58:20 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>> 8. Like any Debian distro these days, crippled vim instead of the real
>> vim is installed by default.
>
> Which package are you talking about?  vim-minimal?  How hard is it to install the version you like?

It's not that hard. It's just a personal gripe when I encounter this setup.

Also a personal gripe when I can't get sites used by normal human
beings (nfl.com, youtube, movie trailers, etc.) to work out of the
box. Social contract uberalles is not my position.

Also a personal gripe when I encounter a default setup for the
browsers using xine which has never worked for me, and even more of a
gripe when it takes some screwing around to get mplayer into the mix.

Also a personal gripe when the printer setup doesn't work for a
networked printer (no hints for the url setup, etc.).

And, of course, as mentioned earlier, I can't believe that no one at
Debian actually tested the ability to boot additional distros from
their grub2 setup. If a distro doesn't play well in the playground
with others, I just cross it off my list.

I love what Debian has done for linux over the years, but I have no
time for Debian absolutism.

I've already torn down the setup and moved on, so it won't be possible
to enter trouble reports.

--
Collins Richey