[clue-tech] Debian squeeze

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 09:59:38 MST 2010

Followup,

It appears that all distros (ubuntu, etc.) based on squeeze have the
same bug. I installed another ubuntu based distro Pinguy, and the
results were the same. This time I did a lot of googling and
experimentation. There are lots of reported grub2 problems - none of
them an exact match, but one of them pointed to the solution.

grub-update generates boot stanzas with the correct UUID information,
but the inird information is wrong

menuentry "linux (on /dev/sdf5)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 242b3a84-a7f8-4289-9a15-ec1c9f432b12
        linux /boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux
root=UUID=242b3a84-a7f8-4289-9a15-ec1c9f432b12
resume=UUID=87d7c860-89dc-48b6-b8af-39e89bded2d9 splash=silent vga=788
        initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd.img
}

They got confused about the old/new partiton numbering convention. The
simple fix is just to remove the partition hint from the
grub.cfg.(which you really shouldn't edit).

        initrd /boot/initrd.img

I'll have to do more digging to find out how to teach grub-update to
do the right thing automatically.

--
Collins Richey