[clue-tech] RSS Parser for any 'P' language

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Dec 26 15:31:56 MST 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:30:25 -0700
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:04:42 -0800 (PST)
> Brian Gibson wrote:
>
> > PHP
> > http://simplepie.org/
> > Mark Pilgrim's Universal Feed Parser seems to be the one I hear most
> > about. Maybe that's why I think Python is the way to go. But if there
> > are good libraries for Perl or PHP, I'd like to know what people
> > recommend.
>
> Hey, that looks good. Thanks. I'll play with it over the weekend.

Well, that's turning out to be finicky, failing my hoped-for quality of
being very tolerant of glitchy feeds. The developer(s) acknowledge this:
http://simplepie.org/wiki/faq/problematic_feeds
and maybe there's not much to be done when feed publishers decide to not
play nice.

But that's not all. It seems to be breaking with an object error, but
supplies so little information that it's hard to know where to start
looking. And, it's redirecting a feed to feedburner, without any reason
that I can find -- I get no HTTP redirect header when look at the headers
on that particular feed, and if I retrieve the feed using 'lynx
--mime-header ...', I get the feed. Funny thing is, that if I plug that
feed URL into the demo form, it comes back fine. I'm using very simple
sample code right now, taken right from the simplepie website. But the
only thing that 'just works' is retrieving a single feed. When I give it
an array of feed URLs, it just breaks.

I'll supply more info, if anyone is curious enough about it to want to
know.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?