[clue-tech] Reply-To?

June Tate-Gans june at theonelab.com
Tue Feb 2 22:26:47 MST 2010

So now that we've (re-)hashed this one out, I have a corollary
question to ask. =o)

Does the mailing list software provide something like an
X-Original-Reply-To header or throw the value of an original Reply-To
in some other field? I don't mind having to run a procmail rule to
munge the headers if necessary.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> My opinion is that Reply-To doesn't belong to us, it belongs to the sender.  By using it we take
> away some of the sender's freedom (that we don't need to take because we have list headers that can
> do the same thing).  So if MUAs didn't suck it would be equally easy to make a reply to the list or
> to the sender (you've seen "mail me off list if you're interested posts, right?) and the Right Thing
> would happen if you weren't thinking about it.

I happen to agree here. I've had many situations in the past where I
have needed to set the Reply-To header because the originating machine
munged any To header I would set with the wrong information (using an
internal domain name) when the system was not in my control.

--
June Tate-Gans    | Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things
www.theonelab.com | than you free with my breakfast cereal. -- Zaphod Beeblebrox