[clue-tech] localyesconfig

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 18:52:18 MST 2010

Back when I was trying LFS, there was a time command to wrap other
commands in to see how much time compiling, etc., took, but I never
figured out how to get it to work. Therefore, to really gain a metric
for how fast it boots, I'd either have to learn how to use the time
command in conjunction with booting, some other time tracking
command/script, or use a stop watch, the later of which would still be
error prone. For my purposes, Y does seem faster than X. BTW, I also
customized my Ubuntu kernel the best I could with menuconfig (I'm
still learning how to configure a kernel) without having
localyesconfig available. I suppose I could lspci to see exact what's
on my laptop, but I'm too lazy right now. A caveat is that Canonical
won't support any custom kernels. It also makes rebuilding proprietary
modules and drivers (if needed) more difficult. However,
localyesconfig on my Gentoo desktop did compile in drivers for every
sound card imaginable, so maybe that script still needs some
development. I have a sound chip on my motherboard, but I don't have
any speakers connected, so it doesn't mater anyway.

Jason