[clue-tech] Webcam through a firewall?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 13:51:04 MST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Robert L. Harris
<robert.l.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I just got a Vivotek webam server up and running.  Working great
> inside my network.
> I want to make the stream externally visible to some friends back in
> Georgia though and
> am trying to punch the right holes in my firewall.
Hey Robert,

I suggest using Firefox with the Live HTTP Headers extension to see
which ports Firefox is attempting to use. The output is a little long
and hard to read...but you're used to that if you're editing iptables
;)

Just install the extension, turn it on, and make a request for the
page from outside the firewall. Then save the http headers to a text
file and review it to see which ports/protocols it is using. Some of
these systems use a dynamic port, though often it can be reduced to a
range of ports.

Cheers,
Greg

--