[clue-tech] help with: "fifo: Permission denied" when using acpi_fakekey as non-root

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Feb 11 07:18:53 MST 2010

Hi Mike,

FIFOs are usually unix pipe special files. Here is an example:

[root at agadez tmp]# touch this_is_a_normal_file
[root at agadez tmp]# mknod this_is_a_fifo p
[root at agadez tmp]# ls -al this*
prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 11 07:16 this_is_a_fifo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 11 07:16 this_is_a_normal_file

As you can see the FIFO has permissions associated with it just like any
other file. Please check the permissions on your FIFO using ls -al and
see who has permission to write to it and read from it. Here is an
example of me changing the permissions on my FIFO file:

[root at agadez tmp]# chmod 666 this_is_a_fifo
[root at agadez tmp]# ls -al this_is_a_fifo
prw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb 11 07:16 this_is_a_fifo

I hope this helps,
Jim