[clue-tech] help with: "fifo: Permission denied" when using acpi_fakekey as non-root

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Thu Feb 11 10:53:09 MST 2010

Mike Jensen wrote:
>That is VERY helpful.  I did not know that previously.
>
>But that does beg the question, how can I find out which file
>acpi_fakekey is trying to use and does not have the proper
>permissions for?

One thing that you might try is running it under strace.  The strace
command traces the system calls that a process makes.  Typically, the first
serveral pages of output are loading up the various shared libraries that
the process uses, then it gets down to the actual actions taken by the
process.  Most likely, the failed open will be near the end, because
when it fails, it probably prints an error message and does very little
else before exiting.

Likely to be useful options are:

strace -o /tmp/STRACE -f __command__

The -o /tmp/STRACE sends the output to /tmp/STRACE instead of to stdout.
The -f may be useful to trace child processes if the command forks and it
is the child that actually encounters the error.

Note that if the command is a shell script, you would be better off to
run the script with the '-x' flag and see what process is encountering
the error, then run strace on that.  Otherwise, the output of tracing a shell
and all of its children until it gets to the failure is likely to be
huge.

marcus hall