[clue-tech] Linux pppd with lcp-echo-failure option doesn't detect dead peer?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Feb 19 17:05:03 MST 2010

Hi CLUEbies,

I've got a weird one.  We run pppd on Linux with generally very good
success.  We have a 15 second lcp-echo-interval and 3 lcp-echo-failure
to detect a dead peer.  I ran into a situation where the peer was dead
for several hours but pppd was running normally and sending out its lcp
echo-requests and not getting any replies, but it did not die!  The
hardware is all fine.  Restarting pppd made everything come back to
normal.  I do not understand how pppd went off into the weeds like that.

We use this command line and these options:

usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySX 921600 nodetach 10.0.0.2:10.XX.0.1 netmask
255.255.0.0 mtu 1500 lcp-echo-interval 15 lcp-echo-failure 3

ms-dns 4.4.4.4
ms-dns 8.8.8.8
asyncmap 0x0
local
crtscts
noipdefault
mtu 384

Feb 19 02:12:36 TPC pppd[3733]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0

I did some googling and I think I am the only person in the world that
this has ever happened to.  I tried looking to see what bugs were fixed
in pppd 2.4.5 but I don't have good bug tracking mojo I guess.  Does
this seem like it might be a bug in pppd?

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)