[clue-tech] Linux pppd with lcp-echo-failure option doesn't detect dead peer?

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Feb 22 07:07:59 MST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:47:13PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Given that it works as you expect I'd say it's a bug in pppd.
> Probably need to hook up gdb and see where the internal state is
> getting wonked.

First just see if you can reproduce it, unless it can be reproduced
gdb monitoring won't help.  If it can't be reproduced, it will be a
tough nut for the developers to figure out as well.

And then this turns into is it worth it?  If this happens very
rarely it might be tough to make the case that it is worth sinking hours
in to investigate further.

Just my 2c.
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
   gtalk (xmpp jabber): mrtuple at jabber.org, jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

"XML is widespread because [a] monumentally stupid standard is still better
than no standard."

-- Alex Belits http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=607491&cid=24105649