[clue-tech] Gentoo

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:33:37 MST 2010

Hi,

As some of you know, I tried out LFS last fall. While this was a great
learning experience, sorting out and installing all of the
dependencies for things like KDE was a headache. Not to mention I
couldn't get KDE to work. Four valid reasons to do LFS (IMHO) are:
1) The learning experience (the best reason)
2) Specific custom requirements (not me)
3) Exercising technical know-how (not yet there)
4) Micromanagement of your OS (I won't)

I remember someone saying at one of our meetings that he uses Gentoo
because it's optimized and he never has to upgrade (since portage is
always up-to-date). So, I just got finished installing the Gentoo base
system, and I'm installing the KDE4 meta-package. The nice thing about
Gentoo is that it automatically downloads all the needed dependencies
in addition to the requested package and compiles them from source.
I'm using -O2 and pentium4 optimizations. So far, KDE4 in its entirety
has taken 26 hours to download and compile. I'll let you know how it
goes and if it's faster.

Thanks,
Jason Ash