[clue-tech] Ubuntu repositories

Louis Miller miller106c at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 07:37:19 MST 2010

Hello,

    I looked on the Ubuntu wiki, about the Ubuntu repositories. Since, I
dislike Karmic Koala, and want to continue using Jaunty Jackalope for
the foreseeable future, I wondered how recent the versions of software
would be. According to the Ubuntu wiki, if I understood it correctly,
the repositories would contain software for Jaunty and nothing newer. Is
that correct?

    If that is right, then what are my options for installing newer
software? The website seems to suggest that installing newer software on
an older version of Ubuntu would make the system unstable. Is there any
truth to that? I guess if you are installing software that has been
tested thoroughly and the OS has been tested thoroughly, then it should
all work flawlessly.

    I went into software sources, and there doesn't seem to be a way to
enable repositories from newer versions. I'm still using Jaunty
Jackalope on my desktop. Has anyone else had this problem?

Louis