[clue-tech] Ubuntu repositories

Louis Miller miller106c at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 13:00:43 MST 2010

Thanks Nick,

             Well, I don't like the software center. The reason I
thought I had to use Karmic Koala was because I was having difficulty
getting my ethernet port to work with Jaunty. Yesterday, at the
installfest I couldn't get my wireless to work with Karmic, and I think
another more advanced user tried and couldn't get it to work. My update
manager got stuck. With Jaunty, I usually just turn the damn thing off,
and set the settings to not look for updates. That has worked well for a
long time. With Karmic, I feel like the whole thing is so fragile, that
I need updates.

             Then, last night, I tried Fedora 12. Fedora recognized my
ethernet port. I started out needing 364 updates, and 8 updates to get
the other 300 to work. Then, it got stuck, so I unticked several boxes
and it got stuck again, and just gave up. I thought it might not be
Canonical's fault. That it might have something to do with Gnome being
defective or the new kernel.

Louis