[clue-tech] Gentoo Xserver Error

Shawn Perry redmop924 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 18:02:14 MST 2010

You need to emerge xorg-xserver or xserver-xorg.  I just forget which
package name.  The wrong one won't emerge.

On Jan 14, 2010 9:57 AM, "June Tate-Gans" <june at theonelab.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Jason Ash <wizardofki at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> X.Org X Server 1.6.5 > Release Date: 2009-10-11 > X Protocol Version 11,
Revision 0 > Build Opera...
Looks like Xorg disagrees with your driver selection -- it's
attempting to load the i810 driver instead of the intel driver. You'll
probably want to setup an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to include a Device
section with the line 'Driver "intel"' in it. I think the wiki page
mentions this just below the kernel config section. You'll probably
want to do this anyway to help improve your video performance (choice
of EXA or UXA acceleration -- UXA is faster if you have it).

> Setting master > expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadToggle: line 122 of inet
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinit...
Seems here you've only emerged X itself. In Gentoo, you'll need to
emerge the packages you want -- remember that since X is a network
protocol, you can have a server on one machine and run all your apps
on a completely different one. As a result, you'll need to emerge any
core X apps you want by hand. I'm pointing this one out because some
folks tend to forget to emerge these things and it can increase the
frustration level a bit once you've actually got the X server working.

One other hint: if you're attempting to test your X config from the
command line by running X directly, make sure you add the -retro
command line option. The Xorg guys "helpfully" decided that showing a
black bear in a coal mine at midnight is more useful than actually
showing some sort of test pattern or mouse cursor. -retro alleviates
this by reverting to the old behavior of showing an X cursor and a
hash pattern on the root window.

Hope that helps some.

--
June Tate-Gans    | Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger
things