[clue-tech] Re: Next Installfest - Linux study groups

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jan 18 20:05:06 MST 2010

Collins Richey wrote:
> LFS is a great way to learn about all the pieces that make up Linux,
> but it's not that rewarding an experience for a brand new user. As a
> developer, you will be much better served by putting up something like
> Ubuntu so that you have a stable platform to learn development
> methods. For the most part, you don't really need to know how the tool
> chains and the compiler are built from scratch. You need to learn the
> basic unix tools.

Nonsense.  He's a developer so learning the tool chain, make, and make errors might be easier for
him than your silly desktop.

My first couple of tries with Linux were distro installs that I didn't use because I didn't have
anything to use them for.  My first post-Windows 3.1 computer I installed LFS.  I happened to be
using Solaris at work so I knew what the shell and vi were.  I learned enough from LFS to switch to
Debian easily (and to appreciate package management).