[clue-tech] Arch Linux

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Mon Jan 18 21:44:05 MST 2010

Hi, Michael--

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:44 -0700, "Michael Irons"
<michael.irons at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of going back to gentoo, but was dreading
> compiling the large packages. Arch was another distro I was
> looking at trying, but had reservations. I may have to try it
> after all.

+1 for Arch. I've been using it for about 4 years and am very satisfied.
I'd be interested to know what your reservations were, though.

By the way, if you are going to get into Arch, you should be aware that
system upgrades are occasionally unsafe (e.g. when there is a new
kernel, changes to udev, or that kind of thing). I have learned through
unpleasant experience to *always* (1) read the news items at
archlinux.org before upgrading, and (2) look through /var/log/pacman.log
for any errors or warnings immediately after upgrading (i.e., before
rebooting). That way you will usually find out about any manual
reconfiguration you may need to do to keep your system usable.

--
Matt Gushee
matt at gushee.net