[clue-tech] Troubleshooting ppp.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 27 22:15:41 MST 2010

Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> I haven't used ppp since 1999.  Is this a log file or a snapshot of what
> was on the screen?  I'm guessing this is a log.  The only unusual thing
> I see in the log is the TERM signal.

This is a log file.  The error dialog says "Error (PRM2) unable to contact our network".

I found additional info about the LCP conversation in another log.  There were some differences
(less negotiation) in the failed session compared to a good one.  But that was all before the
authentication part.  It ended with an LCP send to close the connection (User Request), which is
normal except that it happens too quickly.  So perhaps there's a timeout happening in the client and
it decides to turn off ppp.

In looking at the log I may have found the credentials used for CHAP.  So perhaps I can ditch the
Juno client that runs pppd and run it directly.  That would be nice.

> I don't think there is any way to know why you lose a connection on the
> other side of the modem... bad phone line, bad connection, something at
> Juno.  Is there another ppp site you can try?

I don't know of a ppp site, but I can look.  Oh, of course: www.nyx.net.  It'll be a week before I
get a chance to implement that.

Thanks for the idea!