[clue-tech] ethtool is a lying sack of snake spittle

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jul 13 22:51:29 MDT 2010

David L. Willson wrote:
> It's fixed. I downloaded and compiled the Realtek r8168 driver from the ASUS site, removed the
> r8169 driver from my system, and it's working correctly. I have to say here that this is the
> first time that a Realtek module build has ever worked for me, and I have two minor corrections
> for the instructions, but I don't know where to send them.
>
> The suck part of this 'solution' is that I'm going to have to re-do it every time I update my
> kernel... yuck.

You can file a bug, if the r8169 is the right driver in the kernel.

You said that the card worked if you unplugged it until after POST.  Do you mean until after the
driver loads?  That would be useful for the bug report.

If you unplugged it, passed POST, and plugged it in before the kernel loaded and still had the
problem I'd say it was a hardware problem.  It might still be and the ASUS driver might know how to
work around it.