[clue-tech] Installfest gear.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jul 22 19:30:32 MDT 2010

Hi Jon,

Jon Tucker wrote:
> If possible maybe a small class on how to use a Linux system?

> Maybe there could be a sign up list for different people to demonstrate how
> to utilize the system and the components available.

I had flagged this to think about for the next installfest.  I've always been willing to take a few
people and talk "history of Linux" or "intro shell scripting" or whatever.  But usually the majority
are working to their own goals and the rest aren't uniform in what they want.  So it winds up being
a one-on-one of some sort.  Feel free to come and ask what you want to know.  Someone will sit down
with you and help you along.

As far as something "one-to-many" I'd suggest that might be better done at a regular CLUE meeting.
We used to do KISS sessions for half an hour before the regular topic.  Grabbing one or two people
to be a panel to answer questions might not be so hard if there was interest.  Someone like me could
blither on for 30 minutes about vaguely relevant things at any time, interest or no (just ask the
people I work with).

And don't sell short things that are on the web.  I've learned a huge amount from a lot of smart
people and the vast majority was just there on-line (e.g.,
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/).  Yeah, it's obsolete.  That's because some
smart cookie read it and put it in software.  And now even grandma can do particle physics
experiments in the kitchen.