[clue-tech] virtualization

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Jul 28 18:17:32 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:55 -0500, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM,  <dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:
> > When you get newer hardware with a CPU that supports virtualization, you
> > might want to try KVM.
>
> Speaking of which, HP goes out of their way to disable virtual support
> on their consumer boxes. I have a perfectly good AMD dual core box,
> but the function to enable virtual assist has been removed from the
> bios!

My HP HPE-204f has virtualization available in the BIOS.

Are you sure that you have a CPU with VT available?  I'm not at all
doubting your comment that many vendors disable advanced features in
their consumer BIOS but prior to the current line of Intel i3/i5/7 and
AMD Athlon II/Phenom II chips, actually finding VT hardware features in
a CPU was hit-and-miss.  Shopping two months ago I saw lots of Intel
Core Duo2 T6600 laptops that looked good... but no VT.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration