[clue-tech] Simple DNS solution

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Tue Jun 22 10:57:05 MDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Todd A. Gibson wrote:

> A solution to this problem is to run a DNS server inside my LAN to
> resolve my domain name to the local IP.  But I've been avoiding this
> solution because I don't want to have to spend the time relearning
> BIND.  Is there an easier DNS solution I can pursue for my simple
> needs?

I tried BIND last year, not to solve any such interesting problem, though. It
was way too slow for my purposes.

I ended up using dnsmasq, which conveniently came with Slackware (runs my
server).  Dnsmasq seemed easy to configure, and I think it will do what
you want.  It acts as a regular ol' DNS client, so you can tell it to use
the Qwest DNS servers, rather than all that BIND setup to use the root servers.