[clue-tech] how to disconnect iSCSI drive?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Mar 12 08:48:48 MST 2010

Hi CLUEbies,

I set up the iSCSI enterprise target (iet) on a CentOS 5 box with
2.6.18.blah kernel.  It was as simple as "make ; make install" from
their tarball.  I made a big empty file and configured iet to use that
as a target disk with fileio access.

Target iqn.jockers-lnx1.domain.com:storage.disk.example.1
        Lun 0 Path=/bigfile.bin,Type=fileio,ScsiId=IET-Example,ScsiSN=JIMO

Then I downloaded the Microsoft iSCSI initiator 2.08 and connected to
it.  All I needed to know was the IP address/hostname of my CentOS box.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  Except for there seems to be no way to
disconnect it once connected.  Do any of you know how to do this?
Incredibly even google searches for how to disconnect an iSCSI drive
from the Windows initiator come up with nothing useful.

Am I the only person in the world who's ever wanted to disconnect an
iSCSI drive so I can change its configuration?  Say, make the disk
bigger, or rewrite it with nulls, or something.  Does anyone out there
know how to disconnect the drive without rebooting my windows box?  I'm
sure a reboot will make it go away but since it is just a software
device driver it seems there should be an easier way than that...
Stopping the windows service "microsoft iscsi initiator" does not make
the disk go away either.

By the way there is no "unmount" "eject" "disconnect" or other useful
right-click options.  By all appearances it is a locally connected
physical disk with no way to get rid of it except a reboot.  Argh.  I'm
kind of afraid I will crash my windows box if I run the command
"/etc/init.d/iscsi-target stop" on the CentOS box.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)