[clue-tech] sound on Hardy

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Mar 25 16:44:30 MDT 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:29:53 -0600
Bill Smith wrote:

> > From: dennisjperkins at comcast.net
> >
> > On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 09:14 -0600, Bill Smith wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble getting the sound turned on in "Hardy". My new
> > > install works flawlessly except for that. David Wilson will be happy
> > > to know that I was able to edit the grub file after a kernal update
> > > changed the menu. I looked at System>sound>sound preferences and
> > > could not find the "general" tab to turn on the sound when Gnome
> > > starts. The drivers appear to have found my onboard Intel MB sound
> > > system but when I test - no sound. Also no sound when booting up.
> > > The speaker icon in not muted and has approx. 50% volume. Thanks to
> > > Nick, Collins, Pancho, and David Wilson for the help at the
> > > installfest. Bill Smith
> >
> > I'm assuming that you are using Gnome. Right-click on Open Volume
> > Control. You might need to unmute one or more devices or increase
> > volume. Hopefully this is all you need to do.
> >
> I tried your suggestions but still no sound, and I am using Gnome.

Hmmm. Can you post the output of

$ lsmod | grep snd

I have an onboard Intel sound system, which works fine in Jaunty, and I
think I've had Hardy on this system as well.

I used to know how to test sound by doing something like

$ cat somefile > /dev/dsp

But I don't remember what sort of file it needs to be. I think raw audio,
but then you need to set your sound system to a particular bitrate.

However, I just tried this:

$ cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

and I indeed get something resembling white noise. And my system didn't
explode either. (Just hit CTRL_C to stop.)

I think if the above doesn't result in any sound, then either there's some
setting which is off, or maybe your sound system has a hardware problem.

jed

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?