[clue-tech] WAP performance.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu May 20 20:42:00 MDT 2010

It's just over a week until installfest.  I'm bringing a wireless access point.  Is there anything
to look for to improve performance for multiple users?

At home I run a Debian repository on my laptop and download to my desktop, both over wireless (G,
though the WAP might be set for B or G).  The d/l speed seems about the same as DSL, ~160kB/s or ~1Mbps.

That seems too slow and I'm pretty sure that I got better rates when the desktop was on wired.  Do
the laptop uploading and the desktop downloading compete for bandwidth?

Thanks!