[clue-tech] WAP performance.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri May 21 17:22:02 MDT 2010

Shawn Perry wrote:
> Yes, they compete, sort of.
>
> When you have a large upstream transfer going, the ACK packets of the
> downstream transfer get put in the queue too.  TCP waits for the ACK
> packets before it continues to transfer.

There's a large transfer going to the desktop.  Just ACKs coming back to the laptop.  So I don't
think queuing problems are it.

The question isn't how to fix transfers at my house.  It's a) is ~150kB/s too slow for wireless G
(with one WAP and 2 wireless computers--I think it is), and b) is it because of a cheap WAP?

Fixing my transfer problem can wait but I want to bring a WAP to installfest that will work well
with multiple users (as well as it can, never mind protocol limitations).  But maybe I'm worrying
about nothing and whatever Linksys box Microcenter has will be fine.

Thanks!