[clue-tech] Suggestion for upcoming presentation - build you own PC

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 11:11:31 MST 2010

Other comments:

Unless you are into gaming or need the extra power of the GPU's for
certain types of processing, the video built into the motherboard is
probably sufficient.  Your preference for ATI or NVidia will eliminate
some boards from consideration.  As will your choice of Intel or AMD.

I think all motherboards have 1GB Ethernet now.  Apart from mini ITX,
I'm not aware of any boards that have built-in wifi.

I'm guessing that all of the new boards now use DDR3, but maybe DDR4 is
out now.

If you want an uncluttered case, you might want to spend a bit more and
buy a power supply that has detachable cables.   I have used both
Silverstone and Enermax with no problems.

You can use fans or water cooling.  Water cooling is more efficient but
requires some maintenance, such as adding biocide to kill algae.
Personally, I avoid water cooling.  It takes more space, might leak
someday, and air cooling has been perfectly adequate so far.

Motherboards have connectors for multiple fans and can control fan
speed.  You can also buy a fan controller and install it in a spare
drive bay.  At least one fan manufacturer (Aerocool?) has fans that can
plug into each other and be driven together.

Regarding noise, some fans have lower dB than others.  You can also line
the case with some sort of noise absorbent material.

I've never been interested in modding cases and I doubt that Collins is
either.  However, if I ever buy another Hivelogix case, I think I might
have it painted.

Others probably have other suggestions too.  I think this is definitely
worth revisiting in a talk.