[clue-tech] troubles installing .jar??

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 19:45:00 MST 2010

Hey everyone, I apologize I can't just ask around on tuesday, but my boss at
work moved my schedule again, I won't be getting back into Denver until an
hour too late.

I've been messing around with a utility I found that's of some interest.
findrepe
http://www.softenido.com/search/label/findrepe

trouble is, it's a .jar,  and I don't have allot of experience dealing with
apps I couldn't install with apt-get.

>>> After some reading and following the following instructions:

-Decompress it using the command

unzip findrepe-0.9.0.zip

Install the launcher with one of the following commands
java -jar findrepe-0.9.0/FindRepe.jar --install
java -jar findrepe-0.9.0/FindRepe.jar --install-home
sudo java -jar findrepe-0.9.0/FindRepe.jar --install-home=/opt/jdk1.6

>>> I ended up with this.

@fozzie:~/Downloads$ sudo java -jar findrepe-0.10.0/FindRepe.jar
--install-home=/opt/jdk1.6
findrepe: '/usr/bin/findrepe' created
@fozzie:~/Downloads$ man findrepe
No manual entry for findrepe
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
@fozzie:~/Downloads$ findrepe
/usr/bin/findrepe: 2: /opt/jdk1.6/bin/java: not found

>>> It wasn't difficult to surmise that it's complaining about the presence
or absence of java, but here's the part that has me confused.

@fozzie:/$ dpkg -l | grep -i java
ii  ca-certificates-java
20100406ubuntu1                                 Common CA certificates (JKS
keystore)
ii  default-jdk
1.6-34                                          Standard Java or Java
compatible Development
ii  default-jre
1.6-34                                          Standard Java or Java
compatible Runtime
ii  default-jre-headless
1.6-34                                          Standard Java or Java
compatible Runtime (he
ii  java-common
0.34                                            Base of all Java packages
ii  libaccess-bridge-java
1.26.2-3                                        Java Access Bridge for GNOME
ii  libaccess-bridge-java-jni
1.26.2-3                                        Java Access Bridge for GNOME
(jni bindings)
ii  libjs-jquery
1.3.3-2ubuntu1                                  JavaScript library for
dynamic web applicati
ii  openjdk-6-jre
6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2                             OpenJDK Java runtime, using
Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-6-jre-headless
6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2                             OpenJDK Java runtime, using
Hotspot JIT (hea
ii  openjdk-6-jre-lib
6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2                             OpenJDK Java runtime
(architecture independe
ii  tzdata-java
2010m-0ubuntu0.10.04                            time zone and
daylight-saving time data for

>>> Unless I'm missing something obvious, I've got java.

Honestly, I'm kind of clueless as to how to even approach this problem.  I
suppose I shouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic to try out apps, but my
computer is carefully backed up in case I end up having to reload it.
Thought I'd ping the clue-list and ask for advice or suggestions that people
are willing to give.  Thanks!