[clue-tech] Suggestion for upcoming presentation - build you own PC

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 20:46:12 MST 2010

I've really enjoyed reading this post, and there are a lot of great ideas. I
assembled my first computer back in 2003. Before that, I knew how to upgrade
my processor, ram, and video card, but not how to do the whole thing. A
Comcast technician came over to hook up my Internet, and after talking with
him, he said, why not build your own. I came together for about $300 and it
was a P4 1.7Ghz with 256MB DDR ram and 32 MB AGP memory, and an 80GB ATA100
HDD. Needless to say, I thought that was pretty fast back then. Since then,
I've built four other computers. I built my current spare computer for about
$190. It's an AMD AM2 X2 2.1 GHz ($30 used on ebay), 1 GB PC5400 ram ($10
used ebay), MSI motherboard ($15 used on ebay), Nvidia Geforce 8400 256MB
GDDR2 ($20 new on ebay), OCZ 500W power supply ($30 new on ebay), Sony
DVD-RW drive ($20 new on ebay), Sony CD-RW drive ($15 new on ebay), a 250 GB
WD SATA HDD ($20 used on ebay), a zalman copper heat sink fan ($30 new on
ebay), and a used case of mine with a 80mm case fan. I went with AMD AM2
because it was cheaper than an Intel system. Also, a year ago I pledged to
the FSF to only buy AMD computers because they support core boot bios;
whereas, Intel does not (a bit off topic). I also run GNU/Linux on my spare
computer which is a free operating system. Otherwise, there would be less
incentive for me to build my own because an OEM Windows license is at least
$100, except for with my own computer I know what components are in it and
how much upgrade room it will have before it's maxed out/too obsolete.
Although I don't like my computer sounding like a lawn mower, I've never
been that picky about noise. Quieter components seem to cost more, but would
be worth it if that's what your after. Most newer AMD and Intel processors
support virtualization (I know that AMD AM2 does, but it's level 2 cache is
wimpier than AM3 and Intel cpus). Also, most new motherboards support 8GB
ram or more, so that shouldn't be a problem. RAID is becoming more common,
so find a motherboard that supports it. However, there's different types of
RAID which vary in reliability and setup, so do your homework as for which
one you want. A mid tower case and an ATX form factor motherboard that fits
it to it should be pretty easy to find, but a cube shape may be more exotic.
However, make sure that other components such as cpu fans/water coolers and
graphics cards will fit inside your case as well. Make sure that you have an
adequate power supply that is certified. Your motherboard should support
that number of USB ports that your dream case has. (PCI expansion cards with
additional USB ports are available, and you can daisy chain USB devices with
hubs to a certain degree). AMD socket AM3 has quad core processors, and get
a board with fast DDR3 memory. In the end, it takes some research to build
your perfect rig, and even more digging and hunting if you have specific
needs. You could probably find many different combinations that fit your
needs. So what it will come down to is price, how much work you want to do
building it, functionality, and style. I usually start with the manual of
the motherboard that I'm interested in downloaded from the manufacturer's
web site, and It will tell you what components your board is compatible
with, its size, and where things like the cpu sit so that there's enough
room for the fan, etc. in your computer case. Also, although I buy most of
my stuff on ebay to save money, it's a bit risky because you never know if
what your getting works or is 100% compatible. Therefore, as others have
mentioned, stick with a reputable Web site with reviews such as
Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com. I know that tiger has some bare bones kits
and pre-assembled OEM computers, so check those out to simplify things. Now
that I know how to assemble a respectable, if piecemeal rig, I'll never go
back to name brand computers such as Dell, Gateway, and (shutter) E-machines
;-) P.S. Get a quality motherboard with solid capacitors, and not a sucky
one if you expect it to last.

Jason Ash