[clue-tech] 2.5" ide hdd

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Oct 4 13:52:28 MDT 2010

  On 10/1/2010 9:05 PM, Jason Ash wrote:
> 2.5" laptop hard drives have gotten relatively dirt cheap. Two years
> ago, I bought a 120 GB 2.5" IDE hard drive for my laptop for about
> $100. Now, just a quick search on tigerdirect.com
> <http://tigerdirect.com> shows you can get a 160 GB one for 64.99. You
> could probably even get a better deal if your willing to take a risk
> with ebay. I still have my old 37.5 GB IDE hard drive, but I bought an
> enclosure for it, and I use it as an external backup drive now. Jason Ash

Yeah, I just installed a WD Caviar Blue 640 GB in my MacBook for $85
brand new from MicroCenter.  Drives are below dirt-cheap levels.

Now if SSDs would just come down... *

Watching a modern laptop boot with various OSs on it (co-worker did a
self-upgrade to an SSD, no... our IT department isn't willing to pay
that kind of money) in rediculously low times, is cool... smokin' fast
Intel SSD, his POST/BIOS screen takes longer than Win7's full boot cycle
to complete.  Tempting.  How much time do I waste during reboot cycles?
Not enough to pay for an SSD... yet.

Nate

* Non-1st Generation and good performing SSDs that is.  Some of the
cheap crap out there for cheap SSDs get really horrid performance
numbers, even if they are slightly better than a spinning platter.