[clue-tech] same partition, multiple distros questions

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 19:35:04 MDT 2010

In my mania to try out different distros, I have carved up my hard drives
into multiple partitions. Never have I been bold enough to try the side by
side on the same partition scheme, although, I've heard it's theoretically
possible, but beyond my technical abilities. My current scheme on my spare
desktop that has very little valuable info stored on it is: (please excuse
me if my abbreviation for partitions are wrong or technically incorrect).

/dev/hda1 Ubuntu 9.10 root ~ 20 Gb
/dev/hda2 Ubuntu home ~ 55 Gb
/dev.hda3 Ubuntu Swap ~ 4 Gb

/dev/hdb1 Linux from scatch 6.3 root ~ 10 Gb
/dev/hdb2 LFS home ~ 5 Gb
/dev/hdb3 LFS and Debian shared swap ~4 Gb (this may have problems with
suspend as Christopher mentioned)
/dev/hdb4 Extended partition
/dev/hdb6? Logically partition Debian root ~ 20 Gb
/dev/hdb7? Logical parition Debian home ~ 35 Gb

Then, to boot into one or another operating system, I just edit my Ubuntu
grub menu.lst file to point to the root partition, kernel, init, etc. Also,
to carve up the second hard drive, I used a Gparted live cd to create or
resize the partitions before installing an operating system. I highly
recommend this live cd. Mike, it looks like you have way more hard drive
space than me, so you should be able to carve your disk(s) to your hearts
desire and still have enough room for each distribution to coexist
peacefully side by side. And, you can always mount another partition for a
distribution with root privileges. Good luck and happy tinkering.

Jason Ash