[clue-tech] [spam?] text processing howto

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Oct 6 06:36:38 MDT 2010

Hi David,

[ockers at agadez ~]$ echo "this that1 that2 that3 theotherthing" | awk
'{print $NF}'
theotherthing

[ockers at agadez ~]$ echo "this that1 that2 that3 theotherthing" | awk
'{print $2 "," $3 "," $4}'
that1,that2,that3

NF means "number of fields" and is a numerical value equal to the number
of whitespace-separated list items.  Obviously "theotherthing" is $5.
Also -F command line option to awk indicates the field separator, by
default it uses whitespace as the field separator.

If you want to do something fancy you should know that awk is very
powerful and supports "for" loops.  If you want to know the loop
iterator syntax I can suggest that too, but you didn't ask for that.

No perl! :)  awk is great for simple text processing.

HTH,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)