[clue-tech] Satellite RF or decoded TV signal redistribution in a MURB

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Oct 6 13:39:49 MDT 2010

Hi Mark,

Mark Cuny wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gus,
>>
>> Good questions.
>>
>> 1. The only place the dish could conceivably go outside is on a very small
>> balcony.  It would probably have to be disguised as a patio chair or natural
>> gas barbecue.
>>

> Mostly a lurker on this list (haven't posted for quite a while), but I
> believe the FCC covers this situation and its regulations supersede
> the bylaws. It appears that you could install the dish on the balcony
> and you would not need to disguise it. The website does state that the
> bylaws can prevent you from drilling into the side of the building, so
> the balcony might be the only place you can install the dishes. This
> assumes that the dish can be pointed in the appropriate direction from
> the balcony.
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
>
> Hopefully this helps,
> - Mark Cuny

We are not in the US. :)  So the FCC does not have jurisdiction.

I think the community by-laws prohibit the installation of individual
satellite dishes on balcony or anywhere on the outside of the unit.  If
I recall correctly, agreeing to obey the bylaws is a condition of
ownership at the property (and there might even be a caveat on the title).

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.ca/pason.html