[clue-tech] Windows 7 recommendation

John Fiala jcfiala at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:56:25 MDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Jason Friedman <jason at powerpull.net> wrote:
>> Actually you can run ubuntu or another linux distro from a small number of virtual options: VMware, Virtualbox, etc. It's quite easy to setup.
>> Also, if it were me I would make sure I had a go-between partition for ease of use... YMMV.
>
> Ok.  If I am looking for a free (as in beer) solution, do you have a
> recommendation as between VMware, Virtualbox and the others?
> And, what is a go-between partition?

I, personally, prefer Virtualbox.  It's what I use on my own machines.
 However, at NREL I'm given a Windows XP box with temporary Admin
rights, and I can't install VirtualBox because apparently it installs
pseudo drivers that aren't signed, and the temporary admin rights
won't allow that, which means I'm using VMware at work, which
generally works fine for me.  So, see which one you can get installed
and go with it.

--
John Fiala
www.jcfiala.net