[clue-tech] Windows 7 recommendation

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Thu Oct 14 21:26:39 MDT 2010

> Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users. It  can
> install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows  application.
> It's simple and safe.

Thanks, Brian, for the link.  Neat concept.  I'm guessing I will not
be able to use it, though, without administrative privileges.  I could
not even install PuTTy.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.  I made a start today and quickly
ran into a new twist:  Windows 7, unlike XP, is installed across all
four partitions of my hard drive.  When I tried to install Ubuntu my
only choice was to wipe the entire disk.  The solution, I learned, is
to use a built-in Windows utility to shrink the size of the partition
it uses, and _then_ install Linux.  Most of the sites that discuss
this technique recommend making a rescue CD to boot Windows.  I did
not have such a CD with me, so I will try again tomorrow.