[clue-tech] Linux from scratch

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Fri Oct 15 11:42:33 MDT 2010

An Indian fellow wants to build Linux From Scratch. I told him that we could start in November.

LFS teaches you how to build a minimal Linux system. You learn how to download and build packages. You learn what packages are required and how they fit together. You learn how the boot scripts work. You learn how to build the toolchain, and it is critical to build it correctly.

LFS doesn't require you to create makefiles. It also supplies the patches. The book provides build scripts that you can study and use. You can save these as separate files and create a master build script to automate much of the build process but the book does not cover this.

When the dust has cleared, we will have a shiny, new CLI system. I don't know if we will proceed with X.org and GNOME or KDE. That depends on what he wants to do. Maybe we will build a lot of the packages in Beyond LFS.

I actually prefer to use DIY Linux and use LFS's boot scripts, but Greg Schafer has not updated his book since last year. He appears to be doing work on it, so maybe he is overhauling his process. Maybe multilib?

LFS does not have package management. People can use RPM, Debian packaging, pacman, etc.