[clue-tech] recover root? Ubuntu 10.4 netbook remix

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Oct 15 21:58:57 MDT 2010

Mike,

You should never need to reinstall a Linux system unless the filesystem
got corrupted somehow due to some sort of software glitch, which is
really unlikely.  (If it was bad hardware, then replace the hardware of
course.)  The easiest way to get access to a Linux system to which you
don't know any passwords is to either not run the startup sequence
(init=/bin/bash) or else start up in single user mode only.  Either way
you ought to be able to reset the root password.

To make the system do nothing but mount the root filesystem, edit the
kernel boot command line to include "init=/bin/bash" at the end of the
command line.

To make the system start in single user mode, edit the kernel boot
command line to have an "s" at the end of it.

There are a lot of different ways you can tackle this problem but these
ought to get you on the right track or at least so you start to get the
idea of how it all works and fits together.

Hope this helps,
Jim