[clue-tech] linux n00b question

adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Oct 20 10:48:57 MDT 2010

If you have another system, you can always SSH in (assuming you
installed the SSH server) and kill those procs.

I have my screensaver lock up occasionally (probably due to a VirtualBox
I have running, with other apps inside that) and I have to go in via SSH
and kill the gnome-screensaver daemon.

If you just have a dead window, if clicking the 'X' doesn't eventually
bring up the 'force quit' window, you can 'xkill' at a terminal, and
then you click on the window to kill.  I haven't used that in a while,
though, since I usually have three systems running at my desk at a time.

Mike Bean wrote:
> Is there a force kill technique for lock-ups? � I know I can go to
> terminal and kill the PID - provided I can either use the hotkey and
> GUI and get to terminal, but I wondered if there's a simpler method.
> �For example, just now my ubuntu 10.04 LTS laptop sleeped/screen
> locked/screensaver, and didn't give me any kind of prompt for password
> to wake. � Ended up hitting the power. �I've had browser lockups too,
> seems like usually when a plugin crashes. � �Wonder about how to kill
> the browser without having to reboot
>
> Mike Bean

Adam