[clue-tech] Partial network problem

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 21:36:48 MDT 2010

Ok, I don't know if this is related to Jason Friedman's networking problem
or not, but when I upgraded Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, certain Web sites would
time out really bad, and I was extremely frustrated and it took me forever
searching the Internet to find a solution. I also have Qwest Internet.
Amongst Web sites that I couldn't connect to were Gmail and facebook. I
finally found out that the default MTU value was set way too low at 500 when
it should have been 1492. This is from
http://www.prash-babu.com/2008/06/how-to-change-mtu-values-in-linux.html:

1. In a terminal type "sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
2. Your text editor will open the interfaces file
3. Know which interface is connected to the Internet (i.e. eth0, eth1,
etc.). If unsure type ifconfig in a terminal.
4. under the line in your interfaces file that says something like:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
add the following line
mtu 1492 (if that doesn't work, try 1454, 1460, or 1452)
5. Save the interface file and reboot your computer

Alternatively, you can change this by typing this into a terminal:
sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
next, add this line to either your /etc/init.d/boot.local or
/etc/init.d/rc.local (depending on your distribution) to make this change
permanent.

Jason Ash