[clue-tech] Clueless, pun intended

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 10:13:41 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Bill Smith <wpsmithii at msn.com> wrote:
> Hi All, I've decided to try and install synaptic on my PCLinuxOS machine,
> but it seems to be already there, just unavailable. Here is some code that I
> got from the "Super User Terminal".
>

> [root at localhost ~]# sudo synaptic
> /root/.gtkrc-2.0:56: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not
> supported and will be ignored.
> /root/.gtkrc-2.0:57: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is
> not supported and will be ignored.
> /root/.gtkrc-2.0:58: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle" is
> not supported and will be ignored.
> /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:42: Invalid symbolic color
> 'fg_color'
> /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:42: error: invalid identifier
> `fg_color', expected valid identifier
>
> (synaptic:21232): libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id
> 'Preferences'
>
> (synaptic:21232): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET
> (widget)' failed
> synaptic: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: undefined
> symbol: cairo_has_current_point
>

> Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks  Bill

A few  thoughts.

1. How in blazes did you install PCLinuxOS (what version?) without an
operative synaptic? I've installed 2010 (both kde and lxde variants)
with no such problems. Synaptic is always there (a button on the
bottom panel for kde). Since you reported earlier problems with the
internet source for updates, maybe you did a half-fast install?

2. As Dave Anselmi noted, you appear to have a library conflict.

3. I would suggest a quick reinstall, and keep careful notes of what
you did. Then you can ask intelligent questions on the PCLinuxOS
forums, your best source of information. When you bring up synaptic,
if reload produces any "unable to retrieve" messages, go immediately
to the settings -> repositories tab and select an alternative
repository source.

FWIW, PCLinuxOS is a mixed breed distro. The packages are distributed
as RPMs, but they use synaptic as the interface for
installing/upgrading. Since I've encountered no problems with synaptic
updates, I'm not familiar with any command line tools for correcting
misconfigured systems, and your system is obviously badly configtured.

--
Collins Richey