[clue-tech] remote access to Windows network from Linux

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Sep 22 10:24:06 MDT 2010

Hi Dennis,

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm trying to access my company's Windows network from my Linux box.
> I am able to connect to the VPN network using networkmanager-pptp, but
> that is as far as I get.  I have an IP address for the terminal server
> but Gnome's Remote Desktop Viewer can't connect to it.  I don't know
> if I need to do something else first, such as add a gateway.  Is
> anyone familiar with this?  Any suggestions?
I do this all the time.  I use "pon" to start pppd with some scripts and
config files so my home Linux box can log into the office Windows
network.  I get a PPP interface with an IP address in the VPN IP address
range, which can "see" the IP adresses in the office.

I then add a network route for the office networks to go through the PPP
interface, and everything works fine.  I also use rdesktop to connect to
a Windows box at the office.

Could you post your ifconfig and netstat -rn (or route -n) output, as
well as the command output from you trying to ping your terminal
server's IP address so we can see if you can ping it or not.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.ca/pason.html