[clue-tech] remote access to Windows network from Linux

Wed Sep 22 16:52:28 MDT 2010

Nate: Turning off ping responses ~does~ "add security", just like running ssh on a non-default port, and not returning specific version numbers for PHP, and other things of that sort. Not providing more info/access than needed is part of a good security policy. Turning off ping responses ~might~ be appropriate, depending on the circumstances.

OTOH, once on the same IP subnet, an arp request is rarely (never) declined, and so might make a better test.

Dennis: Are you sure the VPN needs to be up to get to the TS? There are an increasing number of networks with TS available directly to the Internet.

When you get the VPN up, what does 'ifconfig' look like? How about 'ip route' or 'netstat -rn'? Does /etc/resolv.conf get modified? Does the name of your TS end with .local? Can you dig it (the TS name) (before/after) the VPN is up?