[clue-tech] All IPv4 addresses given out by end of February

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Wed Feb 2 09:35:05 MST 2011

The ICANN announcement will be that there are only two /8  IPV4
address blocks left to be allocated.  The expectation is that this
will drive more emphasis on migration to IPV6.

One of the many modes for using IPV6 is in a 6to4 gateway function.
In this mode a given ISP or provider can use an entire IPV4 address
range for end points in their management domain and then gateway
between these domains over a IPV6 backbone.  This is conceptually
similar to how the RFC1918 private address space model works.

So on the one hand yes address space is running out. On the other hand
there is a near infinite amount of address space available.

cfedde