[clue-tech] All IPv4 addresses given out by end of February

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Feb 2 17:38:40 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 09:35 -0700, chris fedde wrote:
> One of the many modes for using IPV6 is in a 6to4 gateway function.
> In this mode a given ISP or provider can use an entire IPV4 address
> range for end points in their management domain and then gateway
> between these domains over a IPV6 backbone.  This is conceptually
> similar to how the RFC1918 private address space model works.

I'm curious about what I might have to do inside the home for this.
Will it require changing out the cable modem or is it a remote software
upgrade?  Also, if I'm using IPV4 internally, does that mean my router
needs to map between IPV4 and IPV6?  I'm running two routers, actually,
on my side of the cable modem and both run DD-WRT.  Will I need to
update these routers and, if so, what is the drop-dead sign that I need
to get it done?

I'd like to stick to IPV4 behind the routers because its easy.
Switching to IPV6 might be easy too - I just don't know how to deal with
those funky addresses yet.  Heck, I just got around to putting up bind
for IPV4 at home.

I better start figuring this out before Comcast screws me again.  I
figure I have about 6 months - right after the time they do the big July
experiment and we see what all stops working.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org