[clue-tech] List is back?

David Guntner davidg at akaMail.net
Mon Feb 14 13:08:10 MST 2011

David L. Willson grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> BTW, the one giant CLUE list's signal-to-noise ratio is much higher, and
> the contributors-to-leeches ratio, too!

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. :-)  If I had found the
signal-to-noise ratio ok, I wouldn't have unsubscribed after being moved
there.  Regrettably, at least for me, the noise-to-signal ratio was too
high.

Interesting that your opinion of lurkers is that they're "leeches."
People who want to learn, listen.  People who want to teach, talk.  I
myself posted only very occasionally because I simply didn't have the
answer to someone's question most of the time (the question in question
would be outside my particular experience).  I've never seen any value
in posting a message of "Yea, I'd like to know that too," or, "Yep,
that's the answer I would have given" (if someone's already answered the
question) to be of much value; all it does is add noise.  So yes, I've
mostly lurked on this list.  But it was of value to me since it gave me
new insights into things regarding my favorite OS. :-)  I can only
assume that others who were lurking on the list had similar reasons.

I voted against the one giant list when it was proposed, but was willing
to see what was going to happen when the vote went to one big list.  For
me, at least, there was way too much stuff going on the new one big list
that was not related to what kind of things had gone on clue-tech (which
was the list I subscribed to in the first place).  I didn't make noise
there; I didn't complain, I didn't whine.  I just watched a bit, came to
the conclusion that the new list simply wasn't for me, and I left it.  I
was surprised (and I'll admit, hopeful <grin>) when I saw a posting come
across this list, so I figured I'd ask.

Nothing more than that. :-)

              --Dave