[clue-tech] 2011m01d09 CLUE Online Development 99clue

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:50:00 MST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
> ----- YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote: -----
>>

> <...snipped...>
>
>> I would like to have a Drupal 7 sandbox ( testing , development ) with
>> the idea of moving to Drupal 7 in the second half of 2011. The sandbox
>> will be used for developing ideas for the final version. The sandbox
>> will NOT be a production version. My ISP does not seem to be ready to
>> support the level of PHP ( 5.3 ) required for Drupal 7.
>>

> The CLUE VPS will be having three Drupal systems in place for reference.  Two will be Drupal 6.20 with the third being a Drupal 7.0 "sandbox".  This will be on CentOS 5.5 with MySQL backends.  I can get the specific versions later.
>
> The initial game plan is as follows:
> - Site #1 (Drupal 6.20): Mirror over the current CLUE web site with URLs linking into Mailman's web pages.
> - Site #2 (Drupal 6.20): Next generation of "site #1" using Drupal's Mailman modules, Polls, Forums, and/or Wiki's.
> - Site #3 (Drupal 7.0): Copy "site #2", just v7.0 difference.
>
> The reason for the v6.20 and v7.0 sites is that not all of the Drupal modules and/or themes are v7.0 ready.  One example is the Google Analytics module to help track web site traffic stats.
>
> The reason for the MySQL vs. PGSQL (which I did pitch PGSQL) is that not all of the Drupal modules and/or themes are "SQL neutral" unfortunately.  I have encountered a few too many in the past weeks working on the CLUE Conference site as well as a few Linux ETC projects where Drupal + PGSQL did not work entirely but Drupal + MySQL did.
>
> Thoughts, comments, and/or questions are welcomed.

Sounds like an excellent approach. Greg Knaddison recommended Drupal6
with mysqsl for now as well. The only question remaining for me is the
question of PHP5.3 (standard on Ub 10.04) with Drupal6. There were
reported problems, and there is even a recommendation for downgrade to
5.2.14. I sent that off to Greg for clarification as well.

--
Collins Richey