[clue-tech] hard to make a linux DC?

Fri Jan 14 14:49:34 MST 2011

You don't need a DC for DNS, just DNS. Only in Windows-land are they practically synonymous/inseparable.

Pick a distribution. Of the choices you offered, I would probably choose CentOS, but SUSE is easier and I haven't used it in a while, so maybe I'd do that.

Then start configuring bind, but how you'll do that will depend on which distribution you chose, how your network is laid out, whether you have or want DHCP, and if so, how that's set up.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bean" <beandaemon at gmail.com>
To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 2:06:32 PM
Subject: [clue-tech] hard to make a linux DC?

OK, I realize this is going to make me kind of a linux idiot, but I'm looking at making a walled off linux "secret-garden" on my home network. I don't think I need Active Directory or DHCP, but I do need DNS/name resolution, so before I stop at the bookstore on the way home, I thought I'd ping the mailing list. Has anyone seen any good useful/newbie-friendly guides for how to create a linux DC? Distro has to be Red Hat/Suse or CentOS.

Bean