[clue-tech] Evaluation of conferencing solutions during CLUE Installfest 2011m01d22 99CLUE

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jan 23 17:33:30 MST 2011

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> What type of bandwidth does DeVry have?  Per our logs, things seemed fine on our end with minimal
> impact.  What else was running on the system(s) sharing out the desktops as well plus the
> system's resources (RAM and video card info in particular)?

DeVry bandwidth is not good.  I think it is about T1, via some sort of VPN to DeVry's corporate data
center and thence to the 'net.  They can throttle so that more important users get preference.

We usually see one or two (or more) people do bulk data transfers (updates after an install or other
less productive things).  That makes web pages feel slow (especially like MSNBC where there's lots
of low density content).  I try to tell people to wait on that until they get home but there are
always a few at least.